(416) 214-5111

Generally, yes. A foreign worker is required to have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer to secure a work permit. However, the exception lies where the foreign national is eligible for an open work permit.

Given that not all temporary foreign workers are eligible for an open work permit, it is more likely that a prospective employer will need to secure a Labour Market Impact Assessment (“LMIA”) with Employment and Social Development Canada for a foreign national’s role in Canada, or alternatively, if the role is LMIA-exempt, the employer will need to submit an Offer of Employment with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

If you are a foreign national interested in obtaining a work permit, or you are a Canadian employer interested in hiring a foreign national and want to better understand the process, please contact Toronto employment and immigration lawyers, Sultan Lawyers, at (416) 214-5111 or via email to mlahert@sultanlawyers.com.

Contact us today to schedule a consultation with us