(416) 214-5111

Generally speaking, foreign nationals with a closed work permit must apply for a new work permit when changing employers. This is true even when a foreign national has been dismissed.

This is because most work permits limit a foreign worker’s employment in Canada to one employer. A temporary foreign worker cannot begin work with a new employer after termination of employment until they have secured authorization through a new work permit.

This authorization may be through, for example, a Vulnerable Open Work permit, another Closed Work Permit, or Bridging Open Work permit.

If you have been terminated on a Closed Work Permit, contact employment and immigration lawyers, Sultan Lawyers, at 416-214-5111 or via email at mlahert@sultanlawyers.com.

Contact us today to schedule a consultation with us