(416) 214-5111

Subject to narrow exemptions, foreign nationals must apply for a new work permit before changing positions and/or employers. This is because most work permits limit a foreign worker’s employment in Canada to one employer and may include other restrictions such as the permitted occupation and location.

One exception is to this rule is open work permit holders who are generally permitted to change employers under their current work permit without the need to obtain new work authorization. This is because the employment of an open work permit holder is not tied to any specific employer in Canada.

This issue is particularly important for individuals who are subject to termination of employment (i.e. being fired) or who wish to leave their employment as a result of harassment, abuse, or other circumstances.

If you have had your employment terminated, have been wrongfully dismissed and/or are seeking new employment and would like to know your rights as a foreign national, please contact Toronto employment and immigration lawyers, Sultan Lawyers, at (416) 214-5111 or via email to mlahert@sultanlawyers.com.

Contact us today to schedule a consultation with us